The pioneering spirit of St Cuthbert’s began over a century ago in 1915. Today, that spirit and culture continue to live on in our approach to education, and our values.
A name change to St Cuthbert’s College followed shortly after, and the College motto By Love Serve was chosen by the first Principal, Miss Isobel Macdonald. This motto remains at the heart of St Cuthbert’s over 100 years later.
At the end of the College’s first decade in 1925, St Cuthbert’s moved to the existing site at Market Road in Epsom. The Robertson Building was opened here on 28 April 1925, by Governor General Sir Charles Fergusson and Mr James Robertson, Chairman of the Board of Directors.
St Cuthbert’s was founded under the benefaction of the Presbyterian Church. Today, while being Presbyterian-based, we are non-denominational and embrace girls of all faiths. The Christian ethic at the heart of our community life is our motto, By Love Serve.
There has always been a great emphasis on service at St Cuthbert’s. Cuthbert himself was a person who walked closely with God and spent much of his time in prayer for the needs of others. A St Cuthbert’s girl is encouraged to share, respect the needs of others, accept different viewpoints and negotiate peacefully. She is also inspired to work hard and take time for spiritual reflection.