The English course is integrated with Social Science. It develops high levels of literacy based on the two strands of listening reading and viewing, and speaking, writing and presenting. Speeches are incorporated in the English programme.
Students will gain an increased understanding of:
- Purposes and audiences – text structures
- Ideas within, across and beyond texts
- How language features are used for effect within and across texts
- How to communicate ideas on a range of topics.
During the course Year Seven students:
- Develop an understanding of the grammar and conventions of English
- Begin to respond critically to, and to think critically about, the conventions of a range of texts, including both fiction and non-fiction
- Explore language through the writing and reading of poetic and transactional texts
- Develop a love of reading and become proficient users of a broad range of information resources
- Understand the importance of communication skills with a focus on developing confidence in the use of voice, delivering speeches and listening.
- Internal assessment
- Standardised assessments
Recommended Prior Achievement Level