The final Middle School assembly for Term 2 focused on leadership in all its forms. The 2016 Sir Peter Blake Trust Leadership week had #believeyoucan as its theme. In Sir Peter Blake’s final log aboard Seamaster, he said “to win, you have to believe you can do it.”
Ophelia Masfen-Yan 8VUJ is a student that embodies this belief. She was selected to receive the 2016 Sir Peter Blake Young Leadership award. The criteria for the award includes:
- Having their own leadership style
- Working well with their peers
- Communicating well with both students and teachers
- Doing good things in their school, home and community
- Aren’t afraid of a hard task and get stuck in
- Thoughtful and considerate of others
- Take on extra duties and do them well
- Do things with a great attitude
- Know how to have fun
Ophelia is the leader of the Playground Angels Committee. This committee is responsible for working alongside Year 5 and 6 girls in the playground during lunch times. Ophelia is an excellent team member who is helpful and thoughtful towards others, determined and persistent and always has a ready smile.
Ophelia is a strong leader and her inclusive, uncomplicated manner when interacting with peers suggests they trust her and her sound interpersonal skills. Ophelia cuts straight to the heart of the matter and is able to clearly see the steps that need to be taken to accomplish a goal or a task. She is proactive and supports others in their journey to success whilst steadily working towards her own. She has the respect of both her peers and teachers.
The award was presented by Mrs Wendy Alexander, the CEO of Barfoot and Thompson.